Enter Receipts Using Add/Update Receipts
Here are the steps to enter receipts using Add/Update Receipts.
Why is receiving required?
Receiving is part of the three-way match process between the voucher (invoice), the purchase order, and receipt that is required to authorize payment of non-catalog orders. Receiving helps the University pay for only those goods and services that were provided to your department as ordered.
When are receipts required?
Enter receipts at the time goods or services are provided to your department.
Can you use Add/Update Receipts to enter receipts for any non-catalog purchase order?
Yes. Additionally, Add/Update Receipts is the only way you can enter receipts for purchase orders that were changed as a result of a PO Change Request or were rolled into the next fiscal year.
Which purchase orders require receipts?
- Non-catalog purchase orders with requisition totals of $500 or more require receipts.
- You do not need to enter receipts for:
- iBuyNU orders
- Non-catalog purchase orders with requisition totals less than $500. (Receipts are considered optional for these orders. However, only a two-way match process is applied. A payment will be triggered after the purchase order and voucher are matched, whether or not a receipt is entered.)
Enter a receipt based on quantity
Navigation: Access NUPortal > Financial > System Login > NUFinancials. In NUFinancials, access Purchasing > Receipts > Add/Update Receipts. There is currently no portal shortcut to Add/Update Receipts.
- Click Add.
Note: Each time you enter a receipt for a shipment or delivery, click Add to create a new receipt.
A new page appears where you enter search criteria:
- In Start Date, delete the default date. (This expands the date range of the search.)
- In ID, enter the purchase order ID number.
- It is recommended that you search using the purchase order ID.
Search results appear for each line of the Purchase Order ID.
- Select the line or lines you need to receive. To select all lines of the PO, click the Select All link. Or, click the checkbox to select an individual line.
- Do not select any line of the purchase order that you do not want to receive, such as a line item that has not yet shipped.
A page appears where you indicate the receipt quantity and save the receipt.
- In Receipt Qty, type the actual quantity, if different than shown:
- For line 1, the projector: If you ordered a quantity of four, the Receipt QTY is defaulted to 4. If you are shipped a quantity of three, type 3.
- For line 2, the whiteboard: If you were shipped a quantity of one, the Receipt QTY is already defaulted to 1. You do not need to enter a different value.
- (Do not modify additional text entry fields, such as Recv UOM).
- Click Save.
After you save the receipt, the following fields are updated:
- Receipt QTY is updated with any changes you entered.
- Receipt ID number is generated when the receipt is saved.
- Receipt Status is now Fully Received even if one line has a remaining quantity. This status applies to the receipt, not the purchase order or requisition.
- Status of the individual receipt lines is Received.
For purchase orders with lines that have a remaining quantity to receive, enter a new receipt at the time the remaining quantity is provided. The date of the receipt is recorded in NUFinancials.
Enter a receipt based on amount
Steps 1-6 are identical to entering a receipt for a quantity-based purchase order, as shown above. The difference is you receive based upon an amount instead of a quantity, using the Receipt Price field instead of the Received QTY field.
- In Receipt Price, type the actual quantity delivered/invoiced for the line item, if different than the default value:
- In this example, if the original PO price is $600, the Receipt Price defaults to $600. If you are invoiced for $50 dollars of water service, type $50.
- Enter the actual amount of the invoiced service do not perform addition or subtraction.
- You cannot enter a greater amount than the default value shown in Receipt Price.
- Click Save. A new receipt ID is generated.
- For each subsequent delivery or provision of service, repeat these steps to enter a new receipt. You will have multiple receipts for the purchase order.
- If only one installment or provision of the service is needed, just enter the one receipt.
For purchase orders with lines that have a remaining amount left to receive, enter a new receipt for the actual amount of the service, as invoiced. Be sure to click Add each time you enter a receipt, and then search using the purchase order ID number.
After you have finished entering all receipts for services provided, the amount-only purchase order may have a remaining balance encumbered. To close an amount-only order, you should request to close the PO using the Purchase Order Change Request in NUFinancials.
How can you find a list of outstanding orders that need to be received?
If you have Cognos access, you can obtain a report of purchases that need a receipt based on the Ship To location:
- Navigation: NUPortal > Financials tab > System Login > Cognos. Cognos Connection > Project Cafe Reports > School or Central > Supply Chain > SC020 Delivery Report.
- Under Ship To column, in the Keywords field, search for Ship To codes used in your order. Note that Options are set to Starts with any of these keywords. Select another option to expand or restrict your search.
- From Results, click your Ship To, then click the Insert button to move the Ship To into Choices.
- Click Finish to start report.