Add New Vendor Independent Contractor
The vendor classification Independent Contractor is used for individuals and sole proprietors not paid wages by NU within the last 12 months or current calendar year.
- The process of engaging individuals requires the completion of the Independent Contractor Questionnaire (ICQ) and an evaluation by HR to determine whether an individual is an independent contractor or whether an employer-employee relationship exists.
- You will be instructed to hire or process the payment request through Payroll or make a vendor code request through Vendor File Management and payment through Accounts Payable.
- The ICQ that has been reviewed and signed by HR must be attached to all vendor code requests for independent contractors.
Required documentation (in an electronic form)
- ICQ (Independent Contractor Questionnaire, completed by department submitting)
- W-9 or W-8 (send to vendor for completion)
- COI (Conflict of Interest, completed by department submitting)
Navigation: NUPortal > Financial > Purchasing or Payment tab > Vendor Add/Maintenance > Vendor Request Center
Alternate Navigation: NUFinancials > Vendors > Vendor Information > Add/Update > Vendor Request Center
After performing a vendor search and clicking Add Vendor
Step 1 Select Classification/Vendor Type:
- Select Independent Contractor
- Click Next
Step 2 Enter vendor information, payment purpose and add attachments:
- First Name, Middle Initial, Last Name
- Tax ID Number found on W-9 or W-8
- Required Attachments - ICQ, W-9 or W-8, COI, Statement of Services (optional) (you can still save the request if attachments are not ready to upload)
- Click the Paperclip icon
- Click Browse, locate the file on your computer and click Open
- Click Upload
- To remove, click the Trash Can icon
- To view click the Paper icon
- Payment Purpose
- Rents - a payment made periodically to a landlord in return for the use of land, a building, an apartment, an office, or other property
- Royalties - compensation or portion of the proceeds paid to the owner of a patent or right for the use of it.
- Prizes, Awards, etc. - awarded for achievement, merit, or contest winner
- Non-Employee Compensation for services, honoraria
- Description of Purchase or Payment describe the services being paid for
- Click Next
Step 3 Enter complete address information:
- Address information as applicable
- Order Address identifies where purchase orders should be sent
- Same as Order vendor uses same address for order and remit
- Remit Address identifies where payments should be sent
- Foreign addresses; click the magnifying glass in the Country field and select a country from the list. The address fields will update appropriately for the country selected.
- Click Next
Step 4 Provide any other comments, verify user details, and save or save and submit your request:
- Optionally, enter Additional Comments for approval justification to Vendor File Management
- Optionally, enter or look up the CC Net ID of another NUFinancials user you would copied on this request
- Click Save (for later) or Save & Submit (to Vendor File Management for approval)
- A confirmation page appears:
- Note your Vendor Request Number which can be used as a reference to check status or when contacting Vendor File Management with questions.
- You will receive an email notification if your Vendor Request has been:
- Successfully saved and submitted
- Sent back and requires your attention
- Approved and the vendor is ready for use