Approval Process: Requisitions
For users with Approver role
- If one line item cannot be approved, the whole transaction must be sent back or placed on hold
- If a line is grayed out it does not need your approval
Step 1: Retrieve requisition
- Navigate to Approval Inbox on NUPortal
- Click number associated with transaction type Requisitions
- Take note of Origin. If origin is SciQuest Orders (iBuyNU), there can only be one ship to address per vendor
- Click on desired Requisition ID
Step 2: Review line item(s) for accuracy
- With all line items selected, click View Line Details
- A new browser window opens. Be sure to verify the following:
- Chart string is correct (Check Fund, Dept, Account, and if applicable, Project and Activity)
- Requisition has budget check status of Valid
- Requisition is consistent with NU purchasing policy, blankets in particular.
- Requisition contains appropriate attachments, if applicable (e.g., SSJ or other forms)
- Ship To if origin code on previous screen is MKT (iBuyNU Marketplace), there can be only 1 ship to address per vendor
- Requisition has a vendor for each line item. A requisition may be submitted without a vendor, but should be sent back to be corrected and resubmitted.
- Quantity is appropriate
- Price is appropriate
- Close active browser window to return to approvals page
Step 3: Approve, Send Back, or Hold
Based on your evaluation of the transaction, select one of the following actions: Approve, Send Back, or Hold. Please refer to additional details about these actions on the next page.
Approve if all line items are correct, appropriate, and consistent with NU purchasing policy.
- Be sure that all line items are selected
- Optional: In Enter Approver Comments field, enter any necessary comments; your comments are seen by all subsequent levels of Approvers
- Click Approve
- Confirmation message displays
- Click Return to Workflow Inbox
What happens next?
- Transaction is removed from your workflow inbox and any pooled approvers at your level
- If there are additional levels of approval, requisition proceeds to next level
- Upon final approval, requisition is automatically sourced into PO & dispatched to vendor
Send back if there are errors or insufficiencies that should be corrected by Requester.
- Required: In Enter Approver Comments field, enter specific reason(s) why requisition is not approved at this time; your comments are seen by all subsequent levels of Approvers
- Click Send Back
What happens next?
- Requester receives email with Approver Comments about why transaction was sent back
- Approver is returned to their workflow inbox
- Transaction is removed from workflow inbox of any pooled approvers at the same level
- Requester modifies transaction and resubmits for approval (workflow is reinitiated from the beginning). Or, Requester may cancel requisition
Hold a transaction if further research is needed by Approver before making a decision. Transactions placed on hold are exempted from automatic 5-day timeout. When placed on hold, workflow is suspended indefinitely until Approver takes further action. Approver is responsible for timely management of requisitions placed on hold for further research.
- Optional: In Enter Approver Comments field, enter specific reason(s) why requisition is not approved at this time; your comments are seen by all subsequent levels of Approvers
- Click Hold
What happens next?
- Transaction remains in Approvers workflow inbox in Pending status
- Requester is not notified when a requisition is placed on hold
- Requester is responsible for tracking requisitions and determining how to best proceed if a requisition has not been approved in a timely manner (contact Approver or cancel transaction)