Create Non-Catalog Requisition
When should attachments be added to a non-catalog requisition?
BD-1 or SSJ-1 is required for non-catalog requisitions (excluding grant subcontract requisitions) of $25,000 or more. See the NU Portal under the Purchasing tab to find these forms. PPS approves requisitions of $25,000 or more.
Who creates non-catalog requisitions?
Users with the Requester procurement security role.
What is a non-catalog requisition?
- A purchase request for goods or services not found in iBuyNU. Approved requisitions are automatically sourced into one or more purchase orders by NUFinancials.
- To learn how to complete a special non-catalog requisition including a blanket, grant-subcontract, or Receive by Dollar Amount requisition, see the training materials under FMS803 Requester Basic Topics > Non-Catalog Requisitions.
- Note: Do not combine catalog and non-catalog items in the same requisition.
- Navigate to Create Requisition
- Enter the Requisition Name in 1. Define Requisition
- Select Requisition Type
- Enter line item(s) in 2. Add Items and Services
- Enter information in 3. Review and Submit
- Save and Submit
- Steps in a Nutshell
Step 1: Navigate to Create Requisition
- Log in to the NUPortal
- Click Financial > Purchasing
- Click the non-catalog requisition shortcut.
- If you cannot access NUPortal or appropriate tabs, go to FFRA Gateway.
- Sign into the NUPortal and use the full path to navigate NUFinancials > eProcurement > Create Requisition.
Step 2: Enter requisition name in 1. Define Requisition
- In Requisition Name, type a descriptive name for the requisition. The naming convention is determined by the school/department (maximum of 30 characters).
- Click Continue.
Step 3: Select Request Type
- Click the Non-Catalog tab, if contents are not visible.
- Click Non-Catalog Item link.
Step 4: Enter line item in 2. Add Items and Services
The fields in this section let you enter the item/product description:
- These fields provide information that NUFinancials includes in the purchase order after the requisition is approved. For training purposes, fields are shown with data already entered. Required fields are denoted by the asterisk *.
- Note: The University does not use the Due Date field.
- Type Item Description. The description you enter should match the source description of the product.
- Type Price. Use the US dollars with decimal place format as shown. Zeros after the decimal are automatically added if you do not provide them.
- Type Quantity. The quantity must be at least 1.
- Click the Unit of Measure magnifying glass to open a Look Up window.
- Type the first two letters of the unit into the Unit of Measure field.
- Then, click Look Up.
- Click the Unit of Measure link in the search results.
- Click the Category magnifying glass to look up the categories.
- Click the + in the file folder to view the available categories.
- Click the Category link that best describes the kind of non-catalog item you are requisitioning, in this example, AUDIO/VISUAL EQUIPMENT.
- In Vendor Name, type the name of the vendor.
- Click the Vendor Name magnifying glass to run a search for the vendor directly from this field.
- Search results appear in Vendor Search. Click the Vendor ID link to select the vendor.
Alternatively, you can scroll through the units of measure to search.
Note: To select the category of capital goods, select the appropriate asset category.
Select only the vendor with the address that matches your ordering form or source address:
- If the vendor is found but the address is wrong, update the address through Vendor Request Center on the NUPortal.
- If no results are found for your vendor, you can request to add the vendor to NUFinancials using Vendor Request Center on the NUPortal.
When you select the vendor name from your search results, this simultaneously populates both the Vendor ID and the Vendor Name fields.
Comments are applicable to the line item and not the entire requisition.
- Click the Send to Vendor checkbox if the comments should be sent to the vendor on the purchase order.
- Show at Receipt box is not typically used or generally recommended.
- Show at Voucher is not used.
- A processing icon appears.
- The non-catalog item fields you entered are saved. When this happens, the fields go blank, so that you can enter another line item.
- The Requisition Summary box to the far right of the page is updated with the line item description and the total.
To add another line item to the non-catalog requisition, follow the previous steps to enter the item and product information in 2. Add Items and Services. Notice that the Requisition Summary keeps track of your previous line items and totals.
Step 5: Enter information in 3. Review and Submit
The Review and Submit step is where you enter ship to codes, chart strings, budget check, and save and submit the requisition.
- To view the hidden section that contains the Ship to and chart string fields for a line item, click the triangle next to that line item.
- Click the magnifying glass next to Ship To: to look up the ship to code.
- A Look Up window appears. In the Description field, type the first letters of the department name.
- Click Look Up.
- Click the Ship To Location code that matches your department. If there is more than one location for your department, select the one that designates the appropriate drop-off location / delivery point.
Enter the chart string on the Chartfields1 tab. All chart strings utilize Fund, Dept, and Account codes, at minimum. If you do not know which chart string to use, see your manager.
- In Fund, type the Fund number.
- In Dept, type the Department code.
- Scroll right to view Account. In Account, type the Account code.
- As an alternative to scrolling, press the <TAB> key twice to move through each successive field.
- As an alternative to typing the chart string, you can utilize the magnifying glass to perform a look up.
- As needed, to enter Project and Activity for Funds 170-199 or 300-899, first confirm that PC Bus Unit contains NWUNV. If PC Bus Unit is blank, enter NWUNV.
- Scroll down to view Check Budget. Click Check Budget.
- The budget check ensures the chart string(s) is valid and has no spending controls against it that would prevent you from submitting the requisition.
- Successful budget checking pre-encumbers or earmarks the funds.
(A processing icon spins while NUFinancials performs a budget check.)
When finished budget checking, a Budget Checking Status appears.
- Valid All spending controls are successfully passed.
- Warning Some spending controls are encountered, but you are OK to submit the requisition.
- Error You cannot submit the requisition. Your chart string may not have been set up or budgeted.
See Resolve Combination Budget Check Errors, if you encounter errors.
Save and Submit
- Click Save & Submit.
After you save and submit, a Confirmation page appears. View the Confirmation:
- The Requisition Approval shows the approval workflow, based on the chart string and other information about the requisition. The requisition is now in workflow. See FMS804 Approvals and Workflows more information.
- The Requisition ID is available on this page.
The Requisition ID is only used for internal purposes and should not be given to vendors or service providers. Upon approval, NUFinancials creates and then dispatches a purchase order to each vendor specified in the requisition. (If only one vendor is specified, then one purchase order is created.) Each purchase order is assigned a unique purchase order ID beginning with PUR.)
Optional: Create a record of requisition
If necessary for your own records, print or save a copy of the requisition.
Steps in a Nutshell
1. Define Requisition
- Enter Requisition Name as determined by school/department naming conventions (maximum of 30 characters).
- Click Continue.
2. Add Items and Services
- Click Non-Catalog tab.
- Select request type Non-Catalog Item.
- Provide Item Description (required).
- Provide Price (required).
- Provide Quantity (required).
- Provide Category (required).
- Provide Vendor ID (required).
- Provide Vendor Catalog ID (recommended).
- Provide Unit of Measure (required).
- Click Add Item.
- If creating a multi-line requisition, provide information for additional line items (repeat 1-7 above).
- When done entering line items, click Review and Submit.
3. Review and Submit
- Click the triangle next to the lines items to open up the hidden section for Ship to and chart string fields.
- Type in ship to code if known, or click look up button (magnifying glass) to search for ship to code.
- In Chartfields1, type Account, Fund and Dept
- If using Fund 170-199, 300-899, provide Project and Activity on Chartfields1.
- Check that the PCBusUnit says NWUNV.
- Click Check Budget.
- Click OK. The budget check process runs and should return status Valid or Warning.
- Click Save & Submit. Confirmation screen displays and requisition enters workflow for approval.
See Attachments and Comments under FMS803 > Non-catalog and catalog requisitions.
Do not add line item for charges associated with shipping, freight, or transport of goods. When invoice is received, Accounts Payable will enter exact shipping charge which will be pro-rated across all chart strings in the requisition. Shipping charges do not impact matching tolerance thresholds, so it is not necessary to enter estimated charges at the requisition level.
Ship To Codes
If a ship-to location needs to be added or modified, fill out the Ship To Code Request Form located at NUPortal > Financials > Purchasing > Purchasing Resources and Forms.
A list of ship-to codes with addresses is available on the FFRA website > Security.
Expand section (triangle)
Use for single line item requisition and single chart string.
Modify/Line Shipping and Accounting
Use to apply a single chart string to multiple line items, if same chart string is used for more than one item.
Add an additional chart string to a single line item (distributed purchase):