Hold PO From Further Processing
- This job aid describes when to use the Hold PO from Further Processing function on non-catalog requisitions.
- Hold PO from Further Processing should not to be used to pay an invoice after the fact when a Purchase Order should have been issued and sent to the vendor at the beginning of the transaction.
- Departments/schools need to make every effort to order goods and services using NUFinancials, which will result in an official Purchase Order being sent to the vendor.
- This needs to occur at the time the product or service is ordered, not when it is time to pay for the product or service.
- Vendors are accustomed to receiving purchase orders from customers. When the Hold PO from Further Processing functionality is used, payment cannot be made until PPS changes the dispatch method.
- If a department/school is routinely using this process to pay invoices for orders placed informally to avoid using NUFinancials, PPS will contact the vendor to stress the importance of not accepting orders without an official University PO and will also contact the department/school about this inappropriate activity.
- Exceptions will be granted on a very limited basis.
- If you have any questions about whether a particular payment is eligible to be processed in this manner, please contact Procurement and Payment Services (PPS)at 1-8120.
Appropriate Uses of Hold PO from Further Processing
To use an alternative dispatch method other than the one listed in vendor profile. The primary use of Hold PO from Further Processing is to allow departments/schools to indicate when they need to have a Purchase Order sent to a vendor in a way other than the default dispatch method in the vendors profile in NUFinancials. By checking the Hold PO from Further Processing box on the requisition and entering appropriate instructions in the comment field, it allows PPS to change the dispatch method for that one order. For example, idiciate "to fax a PO, one time, to a fax number that is different than the fax number included in the vendors profile in NUFinancials" in the comments.
To pick up a printed copy of a PO. For example, if one wishes to hand deliver to vendor at a meeting, one may requested a printed PO. Please indicate "need to pick up PO for vendor meeting on Friday, please print PO and call ext. x-xxxx when available" in the comments.
For Prepayments when check and PO need to be sent together to vendor. Explain the reason why the check and PO need to be sent together in Item Description field, Additional Information field, and/or Requisition Header Comments field and select Send to Vendor and Show at Voucher check boxes. Submit "Hold Check" form to Accounts Payable.
When checking the Hold PO from Further Processing box, it is required that Requisition Header Comments be added indicating the reason why you are putting the PO on hold, what action you want taken with the PO and why you need to prevent the system from automatically sending the PO to the vendor.
Instead of going through the standard departmental workflow, the requisition will go through PPS first. PPS will review the applicability of the Hold function prior to departmental approval.