Create a Catalog Requisition
What is iBuyNU?
- A web-based ordering tool that provides departments and schools with the most streamlined, cost effective way to order.
- Contains items from preferred vendors (discount pricing, enhanced customer service, and negotiated contracts).
- Offers two catalog formats for shopping: hosted and punchout.
What is Requester access to iBuyNU?
Access to iBuyNU as a Requester requires security authorization to NUFinancials. If your NetID has not been authorized, you will be unable to log in to NUFinancials. Security access forms and instructions are located on the FFRA website.
What are the two types of requisitions?
- Catalog Items are found in iBuyNU.
- iBuyNU data auto-populates in the requisition.
- Non-Catalog Items are not found in iBuyNU.
- The Requester manually enters data in the requisition.
What is a hosted catalog?
- Preferred vendor catalog hosted within the iBuyNU website specifically for iBuyNU shoppers using NUs contractually agreed upon products and pricing.
- Retains look and feel of the iBuyNU website.
- Shopping experience is contained within the iBuyNU website.
- Searchable simultaneously across multiple catalogs.
- Can generate side-by-side product comparisons.
- Hosted items can be edited in cart until submitted for requisition.
What is a punchout catalog?
- Preferred vendor catalog hosted on the vendor website specifically for iBuyNU shoppers using NUs contractually agreed upon products and pricing.
- Takes you from iBuyNU to vendor website for shopping and cart creation, then cart is transferred back to iBuyNU.
- Punchout websites have the look and feel, functionality, terminology, etc. specific to each vendors website.
- Punchout items may or may not be edited in cart until submitted for requisition, depending on the punchout vendors rules.
- Access iBuyNU from NUFinancials
- Search for items
- Add items to a cart
- Checkout the cart
- Complete the requisition in NUFinancials
- Enter Chart String
- Budget Check
- Save and Submit
- Steps in a Nutshell
Here are the steps to, as a Requester, add items to your cart in iBuyNU and finish the cart as a catalog requisition in NUFinancials.
Access iBuyNU from NUFinancials
Navigation from the NUFinancials main menu is eProcurement > Create Requisition >2. Add Items and Services. To navigate to this screen, you may also use the shortcut at NUPortal > Financials > Purchasing tab > Access iBuyNU according to your role section > Requester access link. If you cannot access the NUPortal, alternate access to NUFinancials is provided at the FFRA Gateway.
- Click 2. Add Items and Services.
Note: For catalog requisitions, do not enter any data on 1. Define Requisition. The cart name in iBuyNU will carry over to the Requisition Name field in this section, after you create and submit the catalog requisition.
- Click the iBuyNU link. (You are transferred to iBuyNU.)
If the Catalog tab containing the iBuyNU link is not open by default, as shown below, first click the Catalog tab.
Search for items
- Type the keyword or part number in the search field.
- Click Go. (Search results appear.)
For training purposes, a simple keyword search is shown. To learn more about searches, see documentation about Search iBuyNU.
Add item to cart
- Click Add to Cart to add a hosted catalog item to your cart from the search results.
- When you click Add to Cart, iBuyNU automatically creates a new shopping cart.
- To add the item to a draft cart, you can click the Add to Cart drop-down arrow and then select Add to Draft Cart.
- Before you add the item to your cart, you can change the quantity in the box from a default of one (1) to any quantity you wish to order. Or, you can wait to change the quantity after you access your shopping cart
Note about punchouts:
- The link in your search results indicates that the item is available from a punchout catalog. These items do not feature an Add to Cart button, because you cannot directly add them to your cart from iBuyNU.
- To add the punchout item to your cart, you click the Order from Supplier link. You are redirected to the punchout website. Then you add the item while inside the punchout website.
- Punchout websites vary from another. Follow the on screen instructions and prompts specific to each punchout website to add the item from the punchout website to iBuyNU. When you have successfully added the punchout item, you are automatically transferred to your active cart in iBuyNU. At this point, you typically cannot make changes except to remove the item. To change a quantity of a punchout item, for example, usually you must remove the item from your iBuyNU cart, return to the punchout, change the quantity, and add it to your cart.
Go to active shopping cart
- Click the Shopping Cart icon or nearby price.
- In the My Cart box, click View My Cart. (Both View My Cart and Checkout let you checkout your cart. However, Checkout takes you to Final Review, whereas View My Cart takes you directly into your shopping cart.)
- Note also that you can preview the contents of your cart in My Cart. You can use the small Delete icon (trash can) to remove items prior to going to your cart.
- Alternatively, you can click the 1 item(s) added, view cart link to access your cart. This link tallies the number of items added when you click Add to Cart, in this case one item, and directly connects you to your active shopping cart.
- Or, from the side banner, you can click Shop/Carts > My Carts and Orders > Open My Active Shopping Cart.
Make final adjustments, as needed
In accordance with your departmental policies, you may wish to rename your cart. The name of the cart will export to NUFinancials when you checkout in the next section. Additionally, for hosted catalog items, you can make final adjustments to item quantities inside your cart.
- In Name this cart, type the new cart name. (This becomes the requisition name in NUFinancials upon checkout.)
- In Quantity, type the total quantity you wish to order, if different from the number shown.
- Click Update to save any change you make. There are two Update buttons you can use.
Option: You may also wish to add an item to Favorites, remove items, or move items to another cart. Controls for these actions are highlighted. To move items, click the More Actions drop-down arrow, and then select an option. See options below.
- Click Checkout. (Cart is transferred to NUFinancials.)
The cart information is transferred to NUFinancials. Information automatically populates much of the requisition.
- The section 2. Add Items and Services is also automatically populated from the iBuyNU cart.
- Note: Do not change any of the following auto-populated fields: Item Description, Price, Quantity, Unit of Measure, Category, Vendor ID, Vendor Location, or Buyer (not pictured).
- Note: Do not add non-catalog items to a catalog requisition. They are incompatible with catalog items and will cause processing delays.
Complete the requisition in NUFinancials
Enter Ship To
- Click the triangle to expand the hidden section next to the line item. (The Ship To and Chartfield entry fields are now visible under the line item.)
- Enter the Ship To: code, or click the magnifying glass to look it up.
If you know the Ship To code (an alpha-numerical sequence), you can type the beginning portion of the code, and then click the look up button (magnifying glass) to obtain your search results.
- In Description, type the name of your department. (You can also click the begins with drop-down arrow to change the search logic to contains, which is a less restrictive way to search.)
- Click Look Up. (Search results display.)
- Click either of the links under the Ship to Location or Description headings. (The Ship To: field populates with the Ship To location/code you select.)
There is one Ship To location/code shown in the search results in this example. However, if your look up returns more than one Ship To, you should choose the one that best specifies the drop-off point of the shipment.
Note: For all catalog requisitions, there is a one-to-one ratio of Ship To location per each unique vendor/suppliers.
- When you have multiple line items from the same vendor, you must enter the same Ship To location for each line item. (The catalog requisition shown in this guide has only one line item.)
- Create a separate catalog requisition where you have more than one Ship To for items from the same vendor.
Verify or enter Attention To
- Verify the default entry in Attention To, which populates in this expanded section with your profile name.
If necessary, enter a different person or location/room in Attention To. This field further specifies your Ship To location, and can be an important and required part of getting the shipment to you. Check with your department for this information.
Enter chart string
- In Fund, type the Fund code.
- In Dept, type the Department code. Option: You may need to enter Project and Activity chartfields.
- Click or drag the horizontal scrollbar to view Account. Or, you can press <TAB> on your keyboard until your cursor is in Account.
- In Account, type the account code. Or, click the magnifying glass to perform a look up based on the description of the item.
- For each additional line item, you can expand the hidden section using the next to each line item and enter the chart string as shown above. However, there are multiple ways of entering chart strings that may be helpful and needed.
- After you have entered the chart string for the line item, click to collapse the hidden section containing the chart field entry.
- Fund, Dept, and Account are required are required for all chart strings. For training purposes, only Fund, Dept, and Account are shown.
Budget CheckAfter entering the chart string, the Check Budget button is enabled.
- Click or drag the vertical scrollbar to view Check Budget, which is located toward the bottom of the screen.
- Click Check Budget. (A message appears.)
- Click OK. (NUFinancials runs the Budget Check process. The Processing icon appears for the duration of the Budget Check.)
The Budget Check process:
- Checks for budget associated with indicated chart strings.
- Pre-Encumbers or earmarks the expense for later payment from budgetary funds.
- Creates the requisition in NUFinancials and associates it with a Requisition ID beginning with REQ.
When the process is finished, a Budget Checking Status appears. Valid, in green, is the best result, indicating that sufficient funds exist for the chart string(s) to cover the total expense.
- Other budget checking statuses besides Valid include Warning and Error, which appear in red.
- Warning does not prevent you from submitting the requisition; only Error prevents you from submitting the requisition.
To learn more about Budget Checking Status, you can click the status to open a message about it.
Save and submit
- Click Save & Submit. (A Confirmation message appears, and the requisition is saved and submitted to workflow.)
The Confirmation indicates the requisition is submitted to workflow. You can view the Requisition ID and Requisition Approval path:
- At the time you see the confirmation, an email notification is automatically sent to the first Approver in the approval path or workflow. A sample of such an email is shown below:
- The requisition is now in Pending status. It is pending approval from the first approver in the path.
- The Requisition ID number is not the Purchase Order ID number. The Requisition ID should not be given to vendors.
- After the requisition is fully approved and has completed workflow, NUFinancials generates a purchase order and a Purchase Order ID number beginning PUR. At that time, the purchase order is in PO Create status.
- Then, NUFinancials dispatches a purchase order to each unique vendor you specified. At that time, the status is PO Dispatch.
Steps in a Nutshell
1. Access iBuyNU via NUFinancials
Navigation: eProcurement > Create Requisition > 2. Add Items and Services. Click 2. Add Items and Services. On the Catalog tab, click the iBuyNU link.
2. Search for items
Use the search method of your choice to obtain search results.
3. Add to cart
Click Add to Cart to add hosted items to your active cart. Click Order from Supplier to connect to a punchout website from search results. Follow punchout prompts to add item to cart and transfer back to iBuyNU.
4. Make final adjustments, as needed
Rename the cart and change quantities. Click Update.
5. Go to active cart
Click the Shopping Cart icon located in the top banner, and then select View My Cart.
6. Checkout cart
Click Check out to transfer the cart to NUFinancials.
7. Enter Ship to
Click the triangle icon next to each line item to expand the hidden section. Enter or look up the Ship To location.
8. Verify or enter Attention toLeave your profile name defaulted in the Attention To field, or change it in accordance with your departmental practices.
9. Enter chart stringEnter Fund, Department, and Account. Use the Chartfields2 tab to enter any other chart string codes.
10. Check BudgetClick the Check Budget button. Click OK in the message that appears. When the Budget Check process finishes, a Budget Checking Status of Valid or Warning allows you to submit the requisition. Error prevents you from submitting.
11. Save and submitClick Save & Submit. The requisition enters workflow. A Confirmation message appears containing information about the Requisition ID and the workflow/approval path.
What is a requisition?
- Purchase request subject to budget checking and approval based on NU workflow rules.
- First step in financial system to initiate a purchase request.
- Online document internal to NU.